Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

American hub

I have been told that it is always necessary to find your "comfort food" when living in a new place. My parents were so funny when I went to see them, or when we travelled to other countries, whenever they perked up at the possibility of a Starbucks.

It's also funny because sometimes American versions of places/things in other countries are way different. For instance I never knew that Smarties were made of chocolate until I went to the UK. Doritos too, are labeled things like Paprika, or Tangy Cheese.

The point of these places and things though, is to have a little piece of home whenever you're not feeling great. When the said honeymoon period of cultural shock wears off, where do you turn? Other than the Sunday School answer obvious, that is.

I think we found our place yesterday, and I mapped it out to be only 1.55 miles away from our home. Additionally, it's a Supercenter version!
You may be thinking, how can one ever support "The Empire" as my dad likes to call it. Well let me just say we don't have Starbucks, I don't like McDonalds or Burger King, so this will have to do. Plus, it has more stuff to look at. Adios.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! So true. We don't like McD's or BK either, but we found ourselves in one of those 2 about once every two weeks... due to the closest Starbucks being 1.5 hours away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still struggle at eating Mcdonalds because when in Cusco it was literally the ONLY American chain restaurant. Sooooo I went to Mcdonalds literally once a week. I'm glad you found a walmart :). And maybe the Lord will open up a Starbucks! God opened up Mcdonalds the week I got there. He always provides :)

    ReplyDelete