Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Culture shock begins

There are several stages of culture shock. The first being "the Honeymoon period." Everything is new and wonderful during this time.

Coming into Cordoba and knowing of this stage I tried to hold back on my feelings. It was hard, because the first thing that smacks me in the face about Argentina is flying during the sunrise. With all the lights off in the cabin, the city lights shone in great contrast to the Atlantic Ocean. Then our plane had flown just south of the airport in order to turn around and land. Which meant that yours truly got to watch the sun rise from her window seat! Praise the Lord!I was grateful to find two of my teammates in the Buenos airport--Joy and Stephanie. We went through customs and took care of checking our bags (for the last time in a long time) together. Then came the flight. Well, then came the bus to take us to our plane in order to fly. I was blessed again with a window seat, and was able to take some snapshots of my casa nueva: Cordoba.
We were greeted by Raul the Uruguayan, who drove us to our home in Las Palmas. From there, we had lunch and talked to the other three teammates that had moved in yesterday.

Which brings me to an often joked about definition for OM. Operation Miscommunication. Originally, I thought I was the only American coming to the team, and I was also led to believe I was the only one coming at all this year. Not true. Joy and Stephanie, two who had been friends throughout college and had traveled to Chile together were coming too. I met them at the conference in Holland.

In Holland, we had a skype date with our OM leader in Buenos. It was then we learned that there were 7 more coming. Seven more Americans!? Aye carumba!! But what was really meant by the statement was that there were going to be 7 total--something we recognized today. And yet if you're really paying attention, you'll realize that there are still only 6 of us. Confusing? I know. But in the end it all works out.

I decided to take a short nap, and then woke up to find our group going to the city and to church. How could I refuse getting acquainted with our city a bit more? We got to see the heart of Cordoba, which is filled with plazas where so many people hang out. We also got to see the cultural center that OM has been working to get ready for awhile now. I will have to take pictures next time I'm there. While visiting the cultural center, I was told that not only is Cordoba one of the youth centers in the nation, but art (all kinds of art) is its main focus.

Ezequiel had driven us around so that we could go to church. There is a church service that takes place at our home in Las Palmas, but we decided to come to this other one. Here I learned the traditional greeting: a light kiss on the right cheek. And don't go forgetting to say goodbye without one either!! By the end of the night, I had met so many people: I've never been kissed so much :)

My favorite part however, was during praise time. My brain was tired of hearing Spanish as well as trying to respond back, so I asked God if there was a way He could make this moment of song more personal. The next song was a word for word translation of Philippians 2. Mom knows how much I love that one. But if that weren't enough, the NEXT song was a song we used to sing in Iglesia Vida Nueva, the Spanish speaking church I had attended in Colorado. Ahh to something familiar. Thanks God!

Now I'm very tired. I'm encouraged with the Spanish I do know, although I'm more excited to learn more. Oh.. my ankles are swollen from not getting to elevate them enough. I'll get on that. Adios.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first times I was kissed on the cheeks by the Spaniards and Italians when I moved to Europe. It was a bit awkward at first. Sometimes I wouldn't turn my head the right way and would almost end up kissing on the lips. LOL!

    ReplyDelete