Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Experiment-ating

 I'm really okay with making up my own recipes. No, really.

I'm teaching Sarah how to experiment with baking. I'm a major fan of baking, and adding a little twist to make the delicacy my own. I would say it all started when I decided to bake a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving back in high school. It was all uphill from there, as I then basically subscribed to Better Home and Gardens recipe website, learning the basics of almost every sweet baked good there is. Okay, I'm exaggerating there, but I did bake a lot of cookies (I think the Burgesses remember when I took over their kitchen a few times one summer).

Below is a little something we decided to make for the women we meet with each Wednesday--the Institute for pregnant teenagers. We meant to make something for them last time, but forgot, so we picked up our game with this delicious treat which is Banana-bread. Ish.

Basically, we looked up the recipe for a basic cake. Then when all the essential ingredients were there, I decided to add a goop (technical term) of honey and smashed up one banana (for fear of feeling bad for taking all the bananas as well as remembering that the banana flavor is pretty strong on its own), and BAM! Banana bread. Ish.
After one bite, because c'mon, the baker is obliged to take the first bite, I realized not only that it was good on its own, but that it would also taste fantastic with a glass of leche or with some mantequilla de mani (it's not cacahuete here). I tested these hypotheses and was quite correct ;)

I also chuckled at how much Sarah struggled with abandoning the recipe after so far. She's the type that likes to stick to the rules. I mean, I do too, I just.. um.. yeah..

Special Note: Please realize that this blog is also my diary of events in Cordoba, so not everything is going to burst your spiritual bubble, if you will. Aside though, in that every part of life screams Christ if we allow it to. As a friend of mine might've said had she tasted this delectable delight, "It's a party in my mouth." In the same way, I was tempted many a time to say, "Taste and see..." but decided to stop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment