Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mucho mejor

A part of me didn't want to write that last post. It's hard to find oneself complaining about ministry work (and it's a double offense when you're working on memorizing Scripture that clearly says "Do everything without complaining or arguing..."). At the same time, I think it's great for me and for others to know how imperfect I am. That's actually why I appreciated Corrie Ten Boom so much in her book The Hiding Place. She's so honest with herself, reminding us that we aren't the ones who need to have our act together before we serve. Jesus is in the process of sanctifying us mientras, or while, we serve.

Plus, alfajores day seems to make things better yet again. Today, the teenagers were much more talkative with us than these past three weeks, praise the Lord. We talked mainly about music and dancing. It led to a cultural revelation in fact!

Question: Do you know this song?


If you're from the US, the answer is most likely no. Why? Because you don't like soccer. This song was very important this past summer in the World Cup. No, it was not the official song of the tournament, but it was widely spread. Back in Holland for our conference for example, we had a dance party night and the dj played this song. EVERYONE knew the song and was singing along, EXCEPT.. you guessed it. The folks from the States.* Might I also mention that there were about 50 different countries around the world represented on that night?

What does that say about US?

Maybe I grew up inherently unable to like soccer. Maybe I never started playing until I moved to Colorado two years ago. I think it's pretty clear I'm not perfect. And while I would love the uniting factor for this world to be Jesus Christ and not soccer, might it be more important for me to recognize something that does unite us and then take that avenue to share the good news about Jesus?

When playing with the boys from the institute on Tuesday I had noticed another something peculiar about soccer. These boys aren't interested in following rules whenever we're making a toy with them, or trying to pray or what have you, but they certainly will follow the rules when it comes to soccer. Even if it means they are the ones penalized. It's as if the rules of soccer overrules all things. Truly, truly fascinating! To me it seems there is no greater way to reach the nations than through this sport. At least, for the moment.

Perhaps in understanding the importance of soccer, relationships can be formed with the teenagers I meet here. I still remember introducing myself to one of the boys (Jaime) and then asking his name. He responded with a shout, "Me llamo Leeeeeee-onel Messiiiiiii!" Haha. Too bad he picked my favorite player from Argentina's team (also featured in the official video for the World Cup!).

This week, I was also given the opportunity to share a small lesson from the Bible. In Spanish. I prayed right before I began simply saying, 'God help me!!' I first read from Salmo 8, about how God created the heavens and yet still thinks of us. I told them about how much I thought about this in college when I took a class that talked about the billions and billions of stars amidst the billions and billions of galaxies. Then how the earth is so small in comparison. And if the earth is so small, how much smaller are we?

I then read from Psalm 139 and talked about how not only does God think about us, but He knows us intimately. He loves us!

Corto y dulce. And what an experience! I thank God for giving me the words within my limited vocabulary. Andrea told me afterward that I can keep giving a short message every week! Woohoo!! Which then adds to the prayer list: pray for words and for discernment on what to talk about!! Chau.

*From the States. Did you know it is offensive to say you're from America when you're in Argentina? Argentina is in America, after all. South America, but still America. Something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. The 18 Yrs. old Kid I sat with on my flight from Egypt to Vienna told me that it is his cousin singing in the video. Cool huh?
    Futbol is the international language, much like music.

    ReplyDelete