Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Primer dia en el Refugio

You see, I'm a people person. Yes, I enjoy my alone time. I enjoy some hard labor, just-me-and-the-wind, time. But I love being around people.

The past couple days were spent not only getting to know the city, but also arreglando er.. repairing.. a donated building for future use as a cultural center in the heart of Cordoba. Last night we had a team meeting where we dreamt about the possibilities of this building as it is in an ideal location, and many people are wanting to be involved. It's sort of the cultural trend right now. As Ron Burgundy would say, "It's kind of a big deal."

Wow. That just happened.
All this to say, I've done a lot of work with things. Granted, I've gotten to know the team better which is wonderful, but it's not exactly what I'll be doing in the long run. And since I'm staying longest out of the group here (though trying to convince Steph and Joy to stay the extra year), I'm very eager. Then there's this thing called learning the language that I very much desire. Hanging out with all the gringos is not going to cut it.

Hoy era diferente. One of the ministries with OM here in Cordoba includes El Refugio, a refuge center in the slum called Las Violetas. To clarify, I'm living in el barrio (espanol por "neighborhood") called Las Palmas. Just a few blocks away is Las Violetas. This is the work I've been looking forward to most. While I'm excited about el centro cultural, I'm more excited to work with los adoloscentes en el Refugio. Today just solidified that.

We got to teach some locals how to use a computer. As in the very very very very very basics. Then I took a break to help the teenagers make alfajores. Holy frijoles these are good. Picture two cookies with dulce de leche, a sort of milky caramel sauce, in the middle. I might have accidentally broke two of mis galletas in order to enjoy them right away. :P
We had lunch with our fellow worker Javier and his family. Javi and I cooked the milanesa (pollo y carne) and prepared the pure de papas while Heather and JD made a lemon meringue type dessert. Even more fun, was speaking with his family that only knows Spanish. Hooray for learning more vocabulary!

Upon return (after a short and necessary siesta), we helped some even younger children learn the ways of the computer. I worked with two little ones who had to share a computer. They were so young it didn't matter, so we just played with Paint.

I was intrigued by the way of things. It's so interesting to meet people who have no comprehension of technology (well, perhaps most of them understand the infamous cell phone--the one technology I'm currently avoiding), while I have spent today not only blogging, facebooking and emailing, but youtubing as well. Then I think about how difficult it would be to translate those verbs... Any way, I love it here.

I love that I get to be in this place. As I was talking out loud with another teammate, Cordoba is not quite third world, but definitely not first world living. It's a chance to get my feet wet in terms of living in a place so close to people in great need not just spiritually (as is the case all over the world), but in other areas tambien. As the not so pleasant aromas invade my nostrils every once and awhile, or I catch site of yet another stray dog dropping, I keep thinking how this is not so bad.

I believe I'm still in the first stage of culture shock, and may even eat words here. Nonetheless, please read this:

Christ died for me. He traveled more than just 1,000 miles to get to me. He did more than just live in an uncomfortable place without knowing the language. He was beaten, bruised, rejected in every way. Just for me. The least-most deserving candidate of grace in the world. Doing this, living here for just two years of my life is nothing compared to the cross. I mean, I get to eat empanadas and many things with dulce de leche. I get to drink mate! What is pulling a small wire in order to flush the toilet? What is drying my clothes on a wire? What is inconsistent internet? What is not always getting to do what I want or see all my friends from home? Nothing.

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things..." Philippians 3:8

And there is so much more I could lose!!

Adios.

2 comments:

  1. I also enjoy your spanglish as it helps me to start picking up the language as well. Though I don't know how to say i enjoy it the way your dad does. In reading this I'm also reminded of how, at age 2, you showed a saleman in a computer store how easy it was for a kid to use the Paint program... much to his surprise.

    ReplyDelete