Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

2 for 1

Wednesday: With the teenage mothers, we watched a film that essentially shared the story of Christ's sacrifice for our sin. Jenny, a fellow worker from Columbia, shared Scripture and prayed with the women.

In my opinion, they weren't very receptive. They went through the motions of praying, but by their faces you could see--

Nothing.

And when we continued talking with them after, it's not like they wanted to know more. Remember that it's my opinion here, but to me it seems we need more time with these women. We need to build relationships with them.

At a crazy moment near the end of our time together, I tried again to talk to Belen. When I had first talked with her a few weeks ago, she just kind of laughed at me. Each week though, I've made a point of singling her and her friend Dayana out to let her know that I care about them. They still look at me with an odd who-do-you-think-you-are look. That's okay. I can take it. But this time, something strange came from my lips.

"Si quieres aprender inglés, puedo enseñar ustedes."

Dayana had given Belen a little tap on the elbow, and they both gave an enthusiastic, "Sí!" What did I get myself into, I'm not sure, but I have some major prayers ahead of me!

Thursday: We arrived to find that the alfajore process was halfway over! Apparently they decided to start at 9am today and didn't let us know. For shame. Never fear, I still had my Bible study to share.

We looked at Luke 8 and the story of the Sower and the Seed. I focused on the seed (the Word of God) that fell among the espinos, or thorns, and said that I feel like many of us find ourselves in this place. I began to balance my Bible with one juggling ball and said that we easily get distracted from God by wanting to fit in with the world.

While God wants it to be just us and Him, we want other things more. As I added another ball and began to toss them in one hand and try to read the Word at the same time, the final ball was added. "Eventually, we will have to put down the Word of God if we want to balance these other things." I even did a little trick with a reference to the people of Nineveh who could not recognize their right hand from their left.

"Maybe we can balance these things.. for a little while," I said. "But what will we do when everything falls?" (Drop.)

Raúl helped me out by saying more at the end. He stressed how important it is for us to focus on knowing Christ and bearing good fruit. I hope very much that what I was trying to say came through!

Afterward, I was blessed to spend more time with Pedro, Gustavo and a new kid named Manuel. We practiced some more juggling tricks, and I got to teach those who didn't know how to get the basics down. It was great solidifying my Spanish vocabulary of juggling terms (mainly, throw, catch, balance, etc.), as well as possibly build more trust with the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment