Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

The Advantages of Being a Celebrity Missionary

That's right, I said it. One of the advantages of being from the States is everyone wants to hear you speak English. Or they want to make fun of you. Or they want to comment on your pale skin (SHE'S SO PALE!). As the mantra goes, any publicity is good publicity.

In Córdoba, I don't make a splash. I enjoy fitting in fairly well; until I say something with bad grammar and then they know and overcharge me. But that's only happened a couple times. Truly, it is wonderful to fit in and be one with the people. It's just sometimes... sometimes you want to not have to work so hard to gain authority for speaking and being heard.

In Villa Dolores, I got to use my white skin for the sake of Christ, and it was wonderful.

We cruised through the mountains. I recalled visions from the past, driving to Loveland Pass and Copper, except these mountains were not snow laden. They were much more rocky, brown and dry. They were much taller. They were breath-taking!
Our group of Raúl, Andrea, Eva and I, the lone native English speaker, shared lunch with the pastor of the local church before having a meeting with the Scouts. The plan was to perform a drama that talked about peer pressure, and then to meet in small groups to discuss the verse in Joshua that says to "Choose this day Whom you will serve."

Comment: ad-libbing is a learned skill. It takes time to be creative, to go against the grain, if by grain you mean script. For us, we had no script. This is a skit that has been done among the OM group for years, so all they needed to do was add me, right?

Ha. Ad-libbing in another language is a completely different story. Thankfully, I was clear with the others that I only needed a single line or two during each part if it really mattered. So there I am trying to act my part, make sure I really understand what's being said (as it changes within our two performances and two warm up rounds) in order to catch my "cue."
It worked out. We ended up having some great discussions with the kids after, so I'm glad I wasn't too distracting. Raúl had too much fun with it though, as he is a natural born clown and liked to throw me off as best he could.

During the discussions, I was surprised to hear these preteens talking about the peer pressure they've already faced. I shouldn't have been too surprised, but I think it just breaks my heart hearing stories of the affects of alcohol and drugs so early for kids.

As soon as the discussion finished was when I felt the first affects of celebrity-ness. Three girls in particular were fond of hearing English, but I resisted as best as I could. I prayed during our few talks, asking God to provide a moment to share more with these young ladies. The opportunity did not come, but I am already Facebook friends with two of them, so I am hopeful.
Moving on, we went to a church where we would nap before the final performance and fellowship time. I was drawn to a young gal that I had at first thought was 16 years old. After we talked about how tough dealing with peer pressure can be, I find out she is only 12!
We made a quick connection, and even talked more the next day. I have been praying for Belen and her friends ever since, with the desire that she choose Christ more than ever in her young age.

Praise God for some great conversation and connection this weekend. I am already looking forward to another chance to visit and reconnect with these gals! Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment