Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Alfajores and ice cream. Well.. okay :D

I didn't fall asleep until 4 in the morning. I worried that by the time my alarm went off to prepare for alfajores day, I would not have the energy to go. Then I remembered how much I haven't been able to do anything this past week because of recovery time from that monster of a sinus infection--blast! the reason I couldn't fall asleep in the first place was mucus stuck in my throat.

When I arose, I knew I had to go. I made sure to have my devotion before leaving and I was appreciating the perspective it gave: others before me. I was well enough, only coughing every once and awhile now. And when I got to el Refugio, I was even better, only leaving the room twice to spit. Oh.. you probably didn't want to know that detail. I mean.. girls don't spit.. ahem.

I was praising God the whole time. He allowed me, since less people came this week, to not only make a batch of alfajores on my own, but I was able to teach the process to a new kid named Carlos:
Oh, not that Carlito...

We had a great time, and I even got to chat more with Pedro and Gustavo. If you couldn't tell, we really only have teenage boys who come on Thursdays. I think that they notice when I remember their names, so I pray that I can continue to make the most of every opportunity each week.

Unfortunately when we returned home, it was clear that we have two more sickies: Heather and Sarah. I felt that some ice cream might remedy everyone's sadness of oncoming infections (or for me, might offer the necessary celebration of almost complete recovery). And since Grido's, the Argentina gelato store, is so close, how could we not?

So yeah, the sugar rush from all these sweets gave me just enough energy to write down my basic thoughts. I can feel it coming to an end though, as well as the need to enjoy the ever important siesta time Latin culture so graciously gives us. Chau!

2 comments: