Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Escuelita update

We began the day unsure of what time Escuelita started. We had missed last week's due to the conference, and the start time has always been a little unclear. On my Google calendar, I had written 10am for three weeks, and 10:30am for the other three. The confusion takes place because Coco will sometimes come before we start so we can talk about game ideas. He had joked, after a vicious game of Uno (haha), that this week Sarah had to come up with all the games. A lesson learned: don't play the Draw Two card too often.

When he didn't show up at all, we got nervous. Then I relied on the fact that I like to sleep in, so surely these kids don't meet until 11am at the park. Right?

We left at 10:30 in order to see if any kids showed up early. Thankfully, our instincts were correct, and we got to hang out a little bit before the little crowd gathered. Coco had already arranged the games, so we had no worries at all!

I purposefully sat with Luciano again, and I subtly verified the fact that he can't read. I wondered if that meant I should do something about it, causing my mind to race with possibilities. I need prayer as to whether I should lead a reading study or not with the rest of the boys and girls who struggle because they do not have to go to school. More so, I need prayer with HOW to do so.

The cool part. We were reading about how God had provided the Israelites in the desert with manna and water. The verse for the week was from Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

I looked at Luciano, and with as much courage as I could muster (and a quick prayer for my Spanish), I asked if he believed this. Did he believe that Christ will provide for his needs?

He smiled with a yes.

Ahh, how I still wish I could keep talking, but that was good news for now. I hope Escuelita will provide more chances to search out what this means for him and the others.

At the end, I taught another kid named Gabriel an easy game that involves you trying to stay balanced. All the older boys seemed to enjoy this, and so they quickly joined. I was most surprised by the eldest of them, who hardly comes except for right at the moments that we pass out snacks. Maybe this is the beginning of him being more willing to come for the rest of the time? I can only pray. Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment