Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Gana mi estomago, gana mi corazon


Burger with lechuga, tomate, berenjena y carne. Wow.

Here's more documentation of the day I made homemade tortillas and all the fixins. Quite delectable if I do say so myself! And made from scratch tortillas are quite simple:

Harina
Pocotito de sal
Manteca
Agua herviendo

Pollo con chinichurri sauce and cooked veraduras.
















I made these two for my day of cooking today. I was inspired by Monday's quiche so I thought I'd give it a try. Above, spinach with bell peppers, onions and cheese. Right, pumpkin, eggplant, bell peppers and green onion and cheese. I know the pumpkin sounds really weird but it's amazing I tell you!

I want to add too that the crust is also made from scratch. Huzzah!


It is such a blessing to get to do all this cooking! I find myself very relaxed when I am in the process of making my own recipes for just about everything. I even enjoy the hand washing process afterward, even though there are seven mouths to feed, and thus seven sets of dishes to clean. Estoy loca?

Tonight, Heather, JD and I had the opportunity to visit a fellow worker's home in la ciudad. Maria Elena had made some bon bons for us one week, so I asked if there was any way she would teach me how to make them. She said, "Claro!"

So first, we made an amazing torta with manzanas, and despues, we worked on the bon bons. She even gave us some of the extra dulce de leche and had some walnuts added to the sugary goodness. Como un polo, esta muy rico. It was so fun because this woman is a pro--she makes a living by selling the treats she makes in her very tiny kitchen. She told us that whatever she sells, she gets to keep. If she doesn't sell anything, she has no money for the day.

"Pero, Dios es siempre fiel!" me dijó.

Que lindo, no?

What a woman. Maria Elena got a kick out of our feeble efforts to make walnut/dulce balls that have yet to have their cascaras (formed by vanilla sauce) added. Nevertheless, she was very encouraging, and even helped us a lot to learn more Spanish words.

Here's a fun one: halfway through our trabajando, she stops to ask us if we'll help her feed her pets. In the middle of the city where she lives, she has a backyard full of about 10 chickens! After we collected the eggs, she said that they would be her gift to us!

Certainly, a new experience, and worthy of a blog. So cool to see how God's people live all over the world. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment