Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It's never that easy

To the boys' institute today. I was in good spirits, as we were learning new Spanish words and laughing about the many obstacles on the sidewalks during our walk. When we entered the institute on Dom Zipoli street, my eyes met with Rodrigo uno--

"Aww S*%# MOTHER-F*&$#@$!!" he shouted.

These were the same English curse words he shouted when I had kicked the soccer ball he was reeling back for last week. He didn't forget.

During our walk from the institute to the nearby park, I practiced my apology once again. Part of me wanted to pray that he would just forget the whole thing so that we could play without any qualm.

The boys in general were very rowdy. The good news is that the boys were mostly the same this week; something I had prayed for in hopes of building better friendships with them. Unfortunately, they couldn't stop fighting each other and spitting at each other and talking about each others' moms (that part they didn't think I understood). Then there was Fabrizio who just went off to sit alone most of the time. Sometimes I wanted to cry for their sakes.

I prayed for the opportunity to approach Rodrigo uno again. I said that I wanted to apology for last week, and that I hoped we could come to peace. He nodded, and I felt that I saw forgiveness in his eyes. Then, of course, came Rodrigo dos who just wanted to pick another fight, while JD (our fellow worker) was trying to playfully stop all of the madness.

Thankfully, I did have a chance to talk a little with Fabrizio. He had asked us to pray for his dad, Diego, last week, so I asked him about that. He had looked up with me in amazement. "You remembered?" Sometimes there are those little moments to make up for how terrible it can be.

I thought a bit on the way home (especially during the part where I got on a bus that the rest of our group could not squeeze on fast enough) about how much we want the forgive and forget concept to work more with others than with ourselves. There are two realities here: the first is that it's not in our capacity to easily forget when one has wronged us. The second is that I seriously don't want to mess with a kid and his soccer ball on this side of the world.

In order for relationships to work, we've got to try harder to forget. We need to be able to show more grace to one another when one or the other can not, and we've got to work through as much as we can if we want to call it a relationship at all. That last sentence probably needs a few read throughs, but in my head it works. I'll leave with this verse:
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

IF it is possible. As much as you can. Everyone. This world is full of sinners, but our God is greater. I pray for more endurance during these frustrating and heartbreaking times with these boys. Please pray additionally for next week, as we are taking them to the zoo. Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment