Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

More with Alfajores

The story never seems to get old. Perhaps this week, my excitement for Thursday was heightened by returning to ministry, although the break with the conference was quite refreshing as well.

Before I continue, I would also like to add that these photos are taken by teammate Heather, who has an artistic knack for editing pictures.

Okay. Hmm.. I just started this sentence three times because I don't know where to begin. Perhaps I should introduce these two pictured first. They are brother and sister, and they both are mute.
Celeste, above, has gotten close with Heather, and I'm excited for their continued relationship, particularly because Heather gets to help at el Refugio more than once each week. I think that Celeste has an understanding of Jesus, so I pray that she will always put her trust in Him.

My concern is for los dos as they are often made fun of by the others who come. I think first of how living in Las Violetas is not safe, but then how much harder it might be without the ability to yell for help, or communicate well in general.

Nonetheless, God is still good, and it is such a blessing that they come. May we set good examples for them, and show true love.

My other fun story has to do with Gustavo. I guess it is coming into fruition that he and I get along the best. Or at least we understand each others' silliness. When I first came to el Refugio, I immediately joined Celeste in amasando la masa de los alfajores (pictured), and Gus yelled to Maria Elena that I had not washed my hands. I tried to argue with him that I had taken a shower before coming and hadn't touched anything. "Estoy limpia," I urged, placing both outstretched hands before me.

"But you didn't wash your hands here!" he responded in a rapid, somewhat slurred, Spanish. Maria Elena looked at me.

So I gave him the I'm-defeated-but-I'm-not-done-with-you look, and walked to the kitchen. He smirked back, and gave a full smile when I returned, shaking my head. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy joking with teenagers?
This is actually Jaime, but the two look a lot a like.
Which brings me to the next point. I have been invited to work with some more teenagers every Friday with Andrea. I need to talk more about Andrea and how much I love her. Our common bond of excitement over seeing teenagers come to know the Lord makes our laughing together all the more beautiful. So, starting next week (though I guess I'm not completely sure if it's every Friday, but at least a lot more than normal), I get to help with some devotionals for her and Raul's church youth group. ¡Olé!

Finally, I include my favorite picture from this morning, because these guys are just so adorable. Say it with me...
Awww
And chau!

2 comments:

  1. Say "Hi" from your mom in "north" America to Celeste, her bro ( what IS his name bc I don't think u mentioned it and I want to know), Gustavo, and Jaime. All look like very cool people that I would like to meet, maybe when I'm there in December And what are the names of the 2 cute huggers in the last pic? Inquiring mind want to know. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Celeste's brother's name, because it is seldom mentioned. The young men in the last picture are David and Gustavo. I was thrown off by the Yankees hat, and didn't realize it was Gus until just now. jaja

    ReplyDelete