Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Fiesta prep

I can not begin to tell you how long the creative process took for Sarah and I to figure these out. They're called Centro de Mesas, or center pieces. You don't see it? That's okay. It's for a Quinceniera, or 15th birthday party, for one of our girls at the institute, and it's kind of a big deal. So the design is simple, but intricate at the same time. What you see includes several scraps of wood that we've painted and stacked in fun ways. Then we found these flowers, which are actually the tops of pine cones.
Pretty sweet, huh? I had a lot of fun mixing the paint in addition to painting, and I think overall they're sort of a modern twist on the traditional. I might be adding some accent dots later, but we'll see. We've also added a giant, and yet tasteful, "15" on corrugated board. Hard to explain, but hopefully I'll have another picture later. I sorta like them just as they are.
Después, we needed to make souvenirs, or party favors for the girls. We were told that there are 15 girls coming, so we needed something for all of them. I then googled images of what souvenirs are supposed to be for this culture. After perusing several hundred photos I saw a really cool key chain. But then I thought, "What good is a key chain for these girls?" So I switched it into a necklace.

Javi helped us find a good bead and thread store, where we came up with these:
And here's the best part. In total, because for the center pieces we used what we had, 20AP. That's 5USD! I love making the most of what we got, and making something beautiful out of it too! I just hope the girls appreciate it, especially the birthday girl--Maria Eugenia!

1 comment:

  1. I love them, I like when things are repurposed, I am stealing that idea somehow.

    ReplyDelete