Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Precious gifts

I think I've finally come to terms with what language speaks love to me best: that is, words of affirmation and receiving gifts. I want to talk most about the latter, because it's not just any gift. It's something thoughtful. Usually simple. Completely applicable to my life.

First example is seen to the right, from my dear friend Christi. Ketchup is severely lacking here. While I did find some regular Heinz '57 at a rather hefty (but somewhat affordable) price, it's just really sweet to receive something from home, carrying remnants of the wonderful Chick fil A as well :D
Next, you will find a memoir to my blankie growing up. I had received the blankie from my Uncle Johnny, and it was falling to pieces when I left for college. I didn't take it with me to Argentina either, though I did contemplate whether I should. This little gem, created by my pops, is more than sufficient, as it is made with just as much love as the original.

Finally, the one that may have drawn questionable looks. To the left you see a gift from Jenny and Joanna from yesterday. The bowl is filled with a homemade jelly from these fruits you can pick from trees. I still don't know what they are, but my favorite part is that you can just walk along the road, think, "Hmm.. I can use a little refresher," pick some of these and BAM! you're golden. The sisters had sensed Sarah's and my appreciation for these mystery fruits and brought us the jam.

They had also noticed that we were getting a little pink in the skin. This was primarily due to a day in a nearby village called Tanti, but also because of the oncoming summer. They picked a couple leaves from their aloe vera plant to share with us!

I like the gifts that take time, as well as the ones that require below the surface thinking, so this post is mostly an "I'm grateful for you!" shout out. Additionally, I am challenged to think how I can show that same love for others. Then there's the reality that not everyone feels loved in the same way. We can thank Gary Chapman for opening our eyes to this (though admittedly, I never actually read it!).

Over all, any expression of real love will require more thought and effort. You have to get to know a person, and see what makes them smile (perhaps take note of what makes them perturbed as well--knowing what NOT to do is just as important as knowing what to do. What is it that you do, do, any way? ;) ). Then do more of that. Sounds simple, but it's not. Es la vida, and pretty much all I have to say about that. Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment