Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

When God translates

It's often difficult to explain something in another language. How do I explain that I didn't come to a lunch because I was busy going to a funeral on the other side of town, for a baby that died most unexpectedly this past Wednesday? How do I explain why you can't just ask us to do something and then scrap the idea the minute we show our hard work?

Sometimes you have to take the hit. Sometimes you can't say anything. Sometimes you're going to offend people even when you don't mean it. How do you trust God during these moments?

I had an intriguing experience over this last week where God did the translating. You see, some of the people we serve have had very difficult lives. This makes them very cold-hearted and they do not have patience for us gringas who are trying our best to show our love to them. It's important to remember God's grace in moments like these: moments where they make fun of me for trying to speak in castellano, or moments where they say mean things (palabras malas) just to prove that they are better than me.

Really, I can take it from them. How can I persecute those who have not received the love of Jesus the way I have graciously received such love? I've got to turn the other cheek in such moments, and pray for patience and enduring love for them.

What's hard is when my own team mate laughs at me with them. This sort of example is not a positive one, but again, how do I explain that? And when they make fun of another, one can not just join in on that sort of joking either. We are here to be different, even if we're far from perfect.

So one week, I was made fun of a lot, and I have to admit, I struggled that day. I know they're just words. I know that these people don't know me. But sometimes it still hurts. I was greatly encouraged by another team mate on the need for perseverance. I praise God for that reminder!

Then this week, God created an opportunity for the team mate to experience the same as I had the other week. Eyes were opened to see how we can't just let the joking continue, and how we have to be careful when we laugh. Teasing can go too far; causing some very hurt feelings!

I felt so sad that the team mate had to be hurt in the same way as I was. And yet, if the person hadn't, we might not ever have been able to discuss the issue clearly. It reminded me of a woman who told me about a time when she had wanted to lose weight and join a gym. Her husband said that he loved her the way she was, which was cute and all, but she still wanted to lose the weight for health reasons. Not too much later, the husband was in need of carrying some extra books home for a long period of time. After the exhausting trip he finally understood his wife's desire to shed the few extra pounds.

It's a silly example, but it's what came to mind. We need to truly understand what it is to walk in one another's shoes. A story that we've heard a million times, and should never get old. May we pray for each other even more in times like these. May we be ever compassionate within the body of Christ--lest we cause one another to stumble! Thank you Father for translating for me. May my own ears be opened to the times I need to recognize my need for repentance in other areas as well.

Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment