Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

la Boca


It's the colors of la Boca that are most memorable. The history, however, is noteworthy. Originally an Italian village, the people built the ships of the harbor. Whatever scraps of metal or wood were left over, they would take to build their homes. Whatever left over paint as well, were used to fashion these homes.

For me, it was hard to imagine living in small confines; I was reminded of tenement living in New York circa 1860s. The colors may not have been as brilliant either, but whatever the tourists want, they get. Indeed, tis the reason la Boca is now three streets (or four?) instead of just one, and many of the homes are now for sale, in hopes that stores will buy the buildings and refurbish them for tourism.





I shall end on my tourist moment. The honest truth was I knew I could have avoided this guy. Him and his financial venture to lure unsuspecting tourists for some Argentine peso. Like the Roman soldiers who force their helmets on you for a picture you then have to pay for. And with all health issues aside as to how many people have worn the red hat you see on me, this guy was just too funny. It's different when a Euro is almost twice the American dollar, but the peso is a quarter. Plus, now I can say I've tangoed. Sort of.. haha. Chau.

1 comment: