Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Living in the tent

I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 2 Peter 1:13-14

Every time one says goodbye, it's hard.

My parents just finished their visit with me and are now waiting in Santiago, Chile to cross two more time zones (during the changing of the New Year no less) until finding their home in Texas. I held back tears much like my last time with them in Holland. At that time, I had a feeling I would see them again for this Christmas, but in this instance, there is no telling when we'll get to see each other again. 

While I have some wonderful pictures and stories to share from our vacation, I wanted to make note of something special. Yes, saying goodbye is hard. Uncertainty of future is hard. I shrug my shoulders even as I type. I cry from missing people. I get frustrated with some aspects of life here, but at the same time am beyond ecstatic to get to serve here of all places. I smile at the thought of the new year's joys and journeys just as much as I frown about the struggles and sadness.

I can't imagine what life for Paul was like; having visited so many countries and churches (and lived in some for years at a time), only to know that he had to keep going. He had more work to do.

So there I was feeling sorry for myself. There were the last hugs and "I love yous" as I watched my mom and pops get into their taxi and drive off toward the airport--mom waving goodbye out the window as I walked to the bus stop. And then I looked up again only to see three of my friends from el Refugio waiting for the bus too. Then Jaime and his friend got on the bus at a later stop. Each of us exchanging our "Como andas?" and kisses on the right cheek (right cheek, dad!).

There is more work to be done, and I get to be apart of that. I get to help out my spiritual Daddy in the coolest, albeit smallest, way ever! I've only just begun. How could one not be excited about that?

Mom and I were talking about coming back to Texas when all is said and done. We kept mentioning the word "home" and if everything was okay for me getting back "home" to my little barrio of Las Palmas. I know I've mentioned before that my "home" or my dwelling is only in Christ. Today I also recalled the verses that talk about this tent, or this body we live in. 2 Corinthians also talks about it:

...we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.

So I guess there are two homes. One is rather transient, and the other is permanent. One filled with anxiety about the future, one filled with peace about the present (His presence?).

We live by faith, not by sight. Soon we will see. And I appreciate how much the Lord opened my eyes once again to see my fellow Cordobans. May I lift up my eyes to Him all the more in 2011 and beyond. May our memories be refreshed by these truths. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment