Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Corte la luz

My life is an abundance of changed plans for the better. When I thought that I would by this time be married and with child, I find myself soltera in Argentina. I could not have come with such freedom had I been attached, nor could I have travelled as much as I have in the past few years.

I could still be in Colorado.

I could be in my second or third year of seminary.

Not that those plans are bad, but my life is different. Estoy agradecida que los planes no son mios. They are God's plans, and I trust that being here is better.

So in Chaco began an adventure that reminded me a little of summer camp in Texas. The differences were vast and abundant, but the camp style of things remain the same. We still had our messy game times, our devotional and small group times, our talks (only called charlas), our late night bonfire. And then Argentinian culture shined through:
  • Every camper made sure to bring their KJV Bible, their package of maté, and their thermos. On that note, sometimes they would bicker to decide who was going to serve the tereré, a cold version of maté served with juice. Special note number two is that more people drank tereré than water.
  • Breakfast consisted of a piece or two of bread, dulce de leche and hot tea. The line was longer for the tea than for the bread.
  • No need to get on to students for not cooking or cleaning when the time came, usually they did their chore without asking (pay attention those from the US).
  • An eagerness to wash shoes and sandals with detergent at the end of each day.
And then there was the first night. Stephanie and I had prepared our talk about having faith like a child. I prepared the first half, Stephanie the second, all that was left was for us to prepare a video clip from The Chronicles of Narnia (guess who brought this idea). The video didn't work. After trying another computer, looking on the internet, etc. etc. I assessed in my head how to change my intro.

Then, just for fun, God decided to turn off all the electricity. I wasn't as frustrated with the fact that we had lost electricity as you can imagine. Sure, I was upset at something else in the moment, but it soon faded after I walked outside.

STARS.

Funny, just now I realize that Switchfoot not only wrote a song about Narnia, but also about las estrellas. Indeed, comforted by the thought that I am quite small, I thanked God that I didn't have to talk that night. I told Eze that we should instead sit outside, maybe play a couple songs and then he could read the part in Job about God holding the stars. Follow that up with some Psalm 139. Some moments in silence to let God talk to us, call it a night.

The transformation of the evening was incredible. I could not literally see, but I felt the power of His presence among the students as they began to lift up prayers of desparation. Seeking forgiveness, seeking to live more like Him.

One student had told one of our leaders that the first night of camp was also the first time to really experience God. All we had to do was look up.

Chau.

2 comments:

  1. Moments where God takes over are the best. I love being able to vicariously live your experiences... what you're doing is amazing. Keep writing so that I can keep reading. :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura. I was thinking about you the other day. Great to hear from you. Would love to hear more. With love, sharayah.

    ReplyDelete