Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Nuevas palabras

This morning, I confirmed with Maria Sol that some words are only found in certain regions of the country. You know, like "coke" in the south is "soda" in the midwest (or "pop"). (And for those who think too hard, that's right: we say coke, and the follow up question is "what kind?" Usually Sprite for me. :P)

Any who. I have a plethora of new vocabulary from Chaco, and an additional for Cordoba from today:

"Chomasa." It's.. well.. you know it's hard sometimes when they explain a word to you with a Spanish example. I think it refers to the ridiculous.

"Oh no, manzana." This is used when you're being sarcastic.

"Que honda, hoy?" Just another way to say "What's up?" I heard the term "honda" in general a lot more up north, and they appreciated it while I used it during Truco, "Va con honda che!" Speaking of..

"Che." It's the filler word. Most of my facebook pals use "Che" in their statuses. Has nothing to do with Mr. Guevara.

"Nachas." Another word for your backside. The junior high gals loved teaching me this one. They also enjoyed..

"Jeta." It's a slang term for the mouth. When you're with close friends, you can call someone out when they say something without thinking. Kind of like a "Whatchyomouth!"

I'm also learning new vocabulary from my latest Alexandre Dumas read. These words I want to use more in life:

"August." Respected and impressive.

"Peremptory." Insisting on immediate attention.

"Pusilanimous." Showing a lack of courage.

There are more, but they escape me for the moment. The point is, I love language. We had a conversation today about linguistics and it just about made my day getting to explain some of the roots of words. Ah, I'm such a nerd! Mmk, chau!

1 comment:

  1. Growing up we used "que Honda" and "Chal ese" Chal meant cool it or slow down. when I used it here I was looked at funny.
    epa was my Hey

    ReplyDelete