Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Some comments about daily life

We have just over 24 hours before leaving Córdoba once again. This time not for vacation but to work at a camp and outreach in Chaco, Argentina. Everyone who hears about our trip says, "Have fun! Enjoy the mosquitos for me!" I joke back with them saying I'll save a tarantula for them. Oy, it will be hot and full of interesting bugs. Lord willing, they won't be as much of a problem.

Any way, just a few other things that have been in my mind lately:

Cospeles. They're changing. From 2 pesos to 2,20 (they don't use a decimal point here, but the comma serves the same purpose). Everyone who stocked up on the old cospeles are not allowed to use them past the 7th. Bummer huh?

January 6th is a big deal here. I want to say it has to do with the Epiphany feast, because I know the neighbors were sharing lots of food together, but there was something else. Maria Elena told us that many children leave their shoes outside of their doors in hopes of it being filled with candy and gifts. She gave us gifts tonight (weekly dinner--yum!), and so I'm wondering what it's really all about.

Fernet. So there's this tea drink that you add to juice or water that people have fun lunch. I don't really like it too much, but I'm willing to have it if offered. Then there's Fernet which you add to Coke. I kind of like it, and yet tonight I realized it kind of tastes like the tea drink. Perhaps my mouth is getting used to the bitter taste? No sé.

Now that the house has fans, I no longer sweat in my bed. Gracias a Dios!!

Do you ever just look at a map and dream?

Today on our way to WalMart, we had to step over the leg of a dog. I believe it had been run over by a car (then again, it could have been mauled by a horse and cart, or perhaps in a street fight with other dogs), and so there was the leg, bone protruding outward. Watch your step!

I would also like to thank God for the bout of rain we have had lately. It's been wonderful being outside in the dead of summer to enjoy almost Denver like weather. Denver during the summer, that is. Ok. Me voy. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment