Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

The trouble with knowing the history

Pause from mission work for a short personal, has nothing to do with anything, moment.

So it started with wanting to read The Man in the Iron Mask. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Dumas' account of The Count of Monte Cristo. I wanted more. I remember watching the movie for Mask and thinking that it would probably be an excellent read as well (I promise it had nothing to do with Leonardo DiCaprio's excellent performance). But then I noticed in a book list that my desired read had a few books before it that I should probably tackle first so as to get the full background of the characters and situations.

Which led to a rather fast, and wonderful reading of The Three Musketeers. I'm currently 65% (thanks Kindle for the Mac) through the second, Twenty Years After, and am getting excited to embark on the final of the three novels. Additionally, I have looked up certain locations the novels take place, only to discover that the characters are based on historical truths. I'm learning much about French and English history, perhaps more than I've ever learned. People like Cardinal Richlieu, Oliver Cromwell, etc. Truly fascinating!

But then, I came to another realization. 3M had 67 chapters, this one has about 70 or 80 (I haven't checked), but the final of the three is actually subdivided as well. The sum total of the chapters of Ten Years Later is 267 chapters. The third section being the part I want to read. I was surprised to see what I've gotten myself into, because well, I can't stop now!

It's sort of like the history of the Bible. Sometimes you learn something cool, say, like what someone's name means in the original Hebrew, and you can't help wondering what else you can learn from knowing the Hebrew or Greek. Sort of like Pringles. Once you pop, the fun don't stop, and it makes the text itself even tastier during the next read. You don't have to know all the facts for the Bible to be interesting and soul captivating, but knowing more certainly makes it come more alive.

And finally, GO CATS! (in the Ticketcity bowl against Tech)

No comments:

Post a Comment