Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Retiro

What do you get when you mix 7 North Americans, 3 Germans, a Dutchie, a Mexican, 2 Uruguayans, and 7 Argentinians? I've been MIA for a couple days due to a retreat with my OM peeps. Wow, I just used peeps for the first time in.. well.. ever. It was a relaxing, fun-filled time, spent in Villa Bolsa, Córdoba province, Argentina.

(Córdoba is not just a city, but a province. Geography trivia: Argentina has 23 provinces, and they serve in a similar way as the different states of the US. My goal is to have touched soil in all 23 provinces before leaving. As of now, 7/23.)

We drove in and immediately Eze said, "Oh, it looks just like Narnia!"

"Umm.. not quite," I laughed. But I did think the green grass and giant trees were akin to the Shire. :P

As we gathered for the first evening of discussions led by Don Hammond, I realized that the foreigners outnumbered the Argentinians. Nonetheless, it was great to intentionally practice more Spanish with all those serving in Buenos Aires and Córdoba. I think I had more time to hear life stories from my teammates at this retreat than I've heard in the past 5 months!

The speaker taught us about the various gates of Jerusalem, per Nehemiah. It was fascinating to look at the symbolism behind each gate, just as each part of the temple is intentionally pointing toward Christ.

On another note, I loved getting lost in nature. The campsite location was close to a little river that had several paths one could take and enjoy a meander under grand trees. I even climbed one, but as soon as I saw a giant spider in my face, I figured it was a good time to get down.

Then there was Truco. Now, I'm losing in terms of matches, but when I win, it's always big. Jonas told me I should never play for money though. haha.

All right, time to finish laundry! Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment