Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Risky business

I started reading Jeremiah. Now, I haven't exactly just been reading the Bible as of late, as I'm using another study technique. But then I started getting this cramp inside that told me to read something I haven't read in awhile. In order for the cramp to go away, I decided to pick a prophetic book.

Is it just me, or do those who read the prophetic books often prefer Isaiah? I know it's not a happy go lucky read, but it seems much better than the other prophets, especially with chapters like 40 and 53, as well as so many prophecies concerning the Christ. Jeremiah on the other hand, is known as the "Gloom and Doom" prophet, and no one is thinking they will be encouraged.

Then I read the first chapter last night and thought of Aslan. Twice, the Lord says to Jeremiah, "I am with you and will rescue you."

"Is he safe?"
"No. But he is good."

What a promise. You, Jeremiah, are in charge of sending messages of the ugly truth to Israel. The people are going to want to kill you. Other nations will rise up against your people. But the Lord is with you. He will rescue you.

It seems to me that what the Lord is saying (especially with more context) is that Jeremiah will be in the midst of the battle, in the middle of all the trouble. He will come to several near-death experiences, but just when you think it's over, God's got his back. Like all of those marvelous adventure stories: just when you think Athos is done for, Mordaunt's body arises from the sea; just when you think Lois Lane will fall to her death, she is caught by Clar--I mean Superman.

God isn't just about keeping us alive. A large part of these near-death experiences is to remember our mortality, and to remember how much we need to trust in Him. Trust specifically, in His love for us. I have much more to read in Jeremiah (wow, it's really been a long time), but I'm glad to have started here. Many times I think about some of the strange things I've been through, about my own unforeseeable future, and I just have to remember the Lord is with me. I don't have the same promise of being rescued as Jeremiah, but at least because of His great love, I know He's worth following. Even unto death.

Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment