Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Why I love it

It's so gimmicky ;)
It's made up by Hallmark for a profit.
Why can't every day be Valentine's?

So I'm just going to get my argument out there on the table again. Valentine's, despite some of the opposing views listed in the beginning, is a great day! And this comes from someone who has only shared one Valentine's with a "significant" other in her life.

Sure, it helps that I've had a father who almost always gets me flowers on February 14. This year it was a little difficult considering the whole living in another country thing.

But let's talk about church. Wait, what? That's right. Church. Why do we go? Isn't it a little silly to go every week, when really we should be loving God and each other every day of the week? What's the point? I can read and even effectively study my Bible on my own. I can plug in my iPod for some of the recent Hillsong jams. I can even invite some of my Christian friends over and we can discuss what we're learning about God. Whenever. I. Want.

But it doesn't work that way, does it? When left to our own freedom, we don't read, we don't praise God, and we don't meet corporately all that often. We need a day to remember.

I've been working on memorizing some Scripture, and I'm currently meditating on this seventh day of the week. God blessed it and made it holy, because on it he rested from all of the work of creating he had done. Not only is the Sabbath our chance to remember, but it's our chance to rest. There's something about rest too, that allows us to enjoy our time of remembering.

Perhaps we can view Valentine's in this way. Sure we can show each other love any way, throughout the year, but why not set aside one day (out of 365 days guys--it can't be that bad!) to remember and rest in our love for each other? To spend a little extra, to be a little more intentional with our time together?

Of course, I greatly encourage spontaneity, but give Valentine's Day a little street cred every once and awhile.

Love,
sharayah.

chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment