Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Developing stronger friendships with the boys

So um.. I'm still pretty good at foosball apparently. Not to brag or anything (wink), it's just, ahem, for the past two days with the boys, I've been the reigning champion.

We had gone last year to play metegol, as it's called here, and it went over very well. We were saddened to find that it is no longer is available locally. That is, until Sarah and I took a stroll to one of the malls in that direction, and found a place with not one, but TWO foosball tables. Even Javi was surprised, taking a step of faith when we left the institute on Tuesday, "How did you know this place existed?"

On Tuesday, it was Rodrigo uno's birthday, and his brother Santiago was visiting. Javi knew Santi from another institute that now holds the teenage mothers. Interesting. But moving on, we had a lot of fun. Sarah and I had made a birthday card for him, to which he liked reading all the names and asking, "Who's that?"

"John? That's him," pointing to the missionary from Nebraska.

"Y Sarah?

"Y Sha-ray-drah?"

"No sé," I joked.

"Ah. No sé tampoco. ¡Qué lástima!" he winked.

After some foosball, and after adding Chechu to our crowd, we went to the Parque de las Naciones, where we enjoyed the fresh air and amazing view of the city before walking back. All of us leaders could not get over how well behaved the kids were. God be praised!

-----

Today only Rodrigo uno and Santi were available, so we made our trek to metegol once again. On the way, Rodrigo practiced some of his English that he's studying, and then joked by saying some of his favorite more colorful words.

"We do not talk like that," I told him.

He immediately begged my pardon. Practicing more of his English, with his cute little Argentinian accent, "I'm so sorry." It made me smile.

But later, he yelled the bad words again. All of us stopped in the middle of our walk, and he began play fighting to distract from the situation. I looked him square in the eyes, "I am angry Rodrigo, that these words come from your mouth."

His puppy dog eyes came on, but I stayed firm. "I am serious. If you say them again, you will not come with us next week."

"Yes, yes!" He responded eagerly. "No more."

And we continued on. It was so neat to see him really work at not saying the bad words while playing. I was seeing how much it really is a reactionary thing for him. Like how we say "Ouch" when we stub our toe. As if he can't help it. He tried so, so hard. 

He did fail again, and at the end of our time together, I pulled him aside. He put his hands on my shoulders, and I spoke to him with all the love in my heart. "It makes me sad how these words come from your mouth. I really want to see you speak well." He nodded enthusiastically. "You know that you can't come with us next week, but in the end, know that I love you (te quiero)."

"Te quiero mucho," he said.

I must say thanks to the many of you that I know are praying for us as we visit these boys each week. I could not express to you how much I feel those prayers during the times that are harder, the times that are tranquil, and just in general seeing the growth in these kids' behavior. It's amazing to watch God change hearts, albeit little by little. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment