Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I like

Madeleine L'Engle. She writes in the fourth book in a series known as the Crosswick Journals:

"We need to say 'Thank you' whenever possible, even if we are not able to reconcile the human creature's free will with the Maker's working out of the pattern. Thanks and praise are, I believe, some of the threads with which the pattern is woven."

She then goes on to talk about the paradox of light as a wave and particle. "Living with contradiction is nothing new to the human being." (Yet, how hard it is to grasp the completely God, completely human paradox of Jesus sometimes!)

Then, in regards to marriage, about the many fights she had had with her husband:

"And I am reminded of one woman who, when asked if she had ever contemplated divorcing her husband, replied, Divorce, never! Murder, yes!" (Perhaps this one is better with context, but she makes a point between hot anger and cold anger. It is better to express feelings and let them be done with, rather than to bury them for years and years.)

I came to the conclusion that I want to be a mixture between this woman and Corrie Ten Boom. Madeleine's gentleness can be balanced out with Corrie's outright honesty. Both have a sense of daring, of courage. I remain the woman God has created me to be, but I look to these women (and many, many others) as examples. Just a thought. Chau.

2 comments: