Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

The morning after

If you haven’t read the blog about three birthday parties, I suggest you do so here.

Otherwise, you're just going to get a few more details. Like this morning's. I woke up to my alarm. I always keep my alarm set for either 7am or 8:30am. I gave myself some grace, but also knew that I needed to get back to the house to insure no one would worry about me.

I had received a facebook invite to a friend's mom's birthday party. Later, I found out it was also another friend's birthday and they would be celebrating together. But that's normal. Normal to share parties for economic sake, and normal to be invited when you only sort-of know someone (but also okay if you're just a stranger as well).

When I joined the crowd, I recognized most of the faces. I still struggle to meet every single person upon arrival with an air kiss on the right cheek. It's an expectation that makes me wish I arrived earlier so I wouldn't have to go up to as many people. 'It's nicer when they come to me,' I think selfishly. But I'm getting used to it.

Typically there's chorizo, empanadas and hamburgers to go around. Coca cola, Pritty/Suitty (rivals in the carbonated beverage industry), as well as Fernet (an alcoholic beverage you add to Coke).

We sit around and chat about all sorts of things. Many people that I meet for the first time like to converse about my strange name, and often take several minutes trying to figure it out. They often give up, "Ah! No me sale bien!" I just reassure them that I know who they're talking to when they try.

Fer and I started a game of naming mammals, and everyone to my surprise joined us. The one rule was there were no repeats, and it was funny to see everyone get excited about remembering another mammal.

I find myself getting to parties, but not always knowing how I get home. The bus isn't always reliable, and sometimes out of the way. I've hitched rides when necessary. It's just whatever you choose, you don't leave early. Last night no one would let me walk to the bus stop alone (and had the typical five minute argument about whether it's still running that late any way), so my new friend Fany offered me her bed. We had a mini-sleepover as another girl who lives near me stayed too.

We giggled till about 3am and I felt like a teenager again. Tired, but happy. Home, but no quite. I especially loved the fresh morning air as I sleepily headed back to the bus stop. Yawning, I crawled back into bed with every intention of sleeping till noon (I was successful I might add).

No comments:

Post a Comment