Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Buenos Aires revisited

Here's something fun about the buses in Argentina. Well, other than the fact that they are amazing, and I'm almost at the point of choosing to ride a bus over a plane if it weren't for the one convenience of time.

You can buy your ticket last minute AND make pretty much any changes you so desire.

For instance, I figured on the way to Bs. As. I could go to San Ignacio first. A mission that has gotten my attention due to The Mission which just so happens to be filmed at the Iguazu Falls. The bus company arranged everything so that I could take the morning bus to S.I., then take a later bus from there to my final destination, with plenty of time to see the sights and take it all in. Bazinga!

What was great about San Ignacio is that it's very well kempt. At the same time, this is surprising considering there are no rules. Ok. There's one rule: don't take anything with you.

Otherwise, you can walk where you want, stay as long as you want, touch practically all the buildings (that date back to the 1600s). Even at the one point in which I thought I had broken the invisible rules, I talked to the cop-looking young man and he just wanted to know where I was from.

I took my time, savoring every precious stillness before going back to the big city. The "Paris of South America."

It was the second visit that made me realize how much French influence invades this city. However, the slow ride in was mainly pervaded by sleep and the additional hour bus ride to get to Ari and Caro's.

As both were gone doing prison ministry, I had time to shower and continue the book I would end up finishing on the trip, Alexandre Dumas' Georges. That evening, Ari and I got to converse about where we are now in terms of trusting God with this missionary life. She only has a few months left, and I continue to praise the Lord that I have a year to continue with the youth group.

I was in Bs. As. in order to take the boat to Uruguay for the day and re-stamp the visa. Didn't do too much in Colonia as I had been there before and there is not much to it. Jokingly, Markus told me I could visit the shopping mall. As I had several hours, I made my 3 minute appearance and then went back to the coast. haha

The next morning, we went to the hogar that houses around 40 orphaned kids. It is quite difficult to give your best among so many, but I was able to spend quality time with a girl named Maria. She told me about her family, and we ended up playing a game where we would spell words to each other. The winner could say what the word was within a couple of tries. At one point, I spelled out B-E-S-O (which means kiss, and is often the way you end a message with someone).

She looked at me and then thought about what it could be, putting emphasis on the first part of the word.. on the last.. until she finally realized what it was. Her eyes perked, and she gave me a little kiss on the cheek as a reward. Precious!

This was followed by the team meeting and then a few hours more with Caro and Ari. And then, as fate would have it, a friend of a friend had just arrived to the city that Sunday. Through the grand technology of the internets, we were able to meet up for some Starbucks and talk about what we were doing here. Lauren and I clicked, especially after the part where I learned she had spent the previous summer in India. And in general, it's always encouraging to meet someone who is passionately following Jesus. Our conversation flowed as if we had been friends all along, and to me, it was more evidence of how amazing our God is.

Our time was cut short however, as I had to make my way back to Córdoba. Not a bad thing, as I was assuredly ready to continue in ministry for the weekend! Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment