Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Detalles

I had watched the Stephen Colbert commencement speech for two reasons. Colbert is hilarious and I have an over-the-top love for my alma mater that may or may not have more to do with color than how good they are in sports (though on that note, go lacrosse team!).

I liked the speech. He was funny, simple, and brought out the best of the word brothel (I know, I didn't think it was possible either). I particularly enjoyed his description of the 7-day journey via sailboat that he had taken--the grueling effort to cross the Atlantic Ocean toward Bermuda. This journey was followed up by an hour or so long plane ride back to where he started. Colbert explained that where he was in life and the giving of this important speech is like taking that plane ride.

It's impossible to explain everything he went through in a short time. The exhilaration, the moments of defeat, the satisfaction.. additionally where he is today as an award winning comedian can not be explained in twenty minutes. It's something to experience.

If I were to add anything, I would say that it's in the little things. I know, I know.. I'm only a few years out, but as I have been reflecting even just on this day, I can't help but find the satisfaction that every moment brings to fruition. What do I mean?

8am: alarm goes off, say a quick prayer that God will help me get out of bed by 8:30am.
8:27am: eyes miraculously open and I enjoy the final three minutes of warmth before exerting myself into the day.
8:43am: having taken care of the essentials, as well as putting a couple chairs by the faux fire, devotional time commences.
9:22am: brain exercises of the daily crossword and sudoku. Clean and put up dishes. Check email and all those other shenanigans that those of us perhaps a little too obsessed with the internet take part in.
10:13am: bike ride to grocery store. Fun balancing act on the way back.
11:53am: make lunch for Joy and I: mac and cheese with some chicken and sauteed onions thrown in for kicks. Listened to a couple sermons from Mosaic church in L.A.
12:45pm: make a couple dozen tortillas to have for the week. Used whole wheat for flavor and health.
3:30pm: head over to el Refugio to teach some kids basics in origami. We make a frog, dog and crane.
5:50pm: home to put laundry on the line and work on a craft for Escuelita. Read a little of Sense and Sensibility. Shared maté with some visiting friends.

And you can add that I began blogging, that we have a prayer meeting in an hour, and I'll be chatting with my lovely parents after.

I dunno. I'm just thinking of how Colbert quite possibly felt every minute of being on that sailboat. He took care of the various maneuvers to make sure they stayed course, didn't tip over, etc. etc. It's all part of the trip. Kind of like how I view all of the chores I take care of to help maintain a house for the four of us who live in it. They aren't mundane busy nothings--they are essential to life (bueno, maybe not the internet obsession).

A wise teacher puts it this way:
I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live.

A little later he adds:
Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil--this is a gift of God. They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart.

Colbert talked about dreams changing. About how we may not achieve what we expected. It made me think of Scott Harrison and Blake Mycoskie. I too, can be included here, in a way. The truth is we can't know how things will pan out, and that is okay. I'm not going to say "make every moment count," because those moments will pass with or without you. The question is whether or not you allow God to open those ojitos of yours to enjoy them. And what can be said of my two linked friends is that they find their purpose in serving others over and above themselves. Just like Colbert had mentioned.

Okay. Busy day tomorrow. Looking forward to it! Also, Whitney is here from Chile!!!

Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment