Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

La Salvacion

"My boyfriend asked me... to ask you... what you think," Flor explained last week.

Like the walks I used to take with Sol every week, now I share maté every Wednesday with Florencia. I can not help that I'm a creature of habit, but it should also be noted that Sol is at cole (school, pronounced co-LAY) most mornings now, and with all of her homework, it's hard for us to find a time together. We do meet before youth group on Saturdays, but it's not like it used to be. I am pleased to note, however, that we should be going to a week long conference for kids in Buenos Aires in July!

But as I was saying, Flor wanted to know my thoughts about whether or not we can lose our salvation. I gave her a few verses to look over last week, and we discussed them this morning. Pardon me for not coming forward with my thoughts here either, as I prefer to let you look up the solution on your own.*

I was honored that Fernando wanted her to talk with me about the theological discussion. After all, she doesn't view this weekly meeting as a discipleship. Plus, I learn a lot from her, as she is very patient with me when it comes to the language. I have a weekly list of new vocabulary in my in-hand journal!

In essence, his pressing has upped the ante for our meetings, and this week we talked until 1pm! I'm usually at her house, a few blocks from our own, by 9:45am. We chat about the differences between the cultures, future travel dreams, her possibility of marrying Fer in the coming years, and so on and so forth.

I was pleased by her desire for truth. We talked through the various verses, making sure that we understood the context, and when we read parables, knowing who represented who. She responded with awe, realizing that she had based her ideas on what people told her, not on what the Bible said.

"That's easy to do," I told her, thinking of growing up in the Baptist belt. "We have to keep begging the Holy Spirit to show us what the Scriptures mean, as well as know what is most important for our lives."

Twas a beautiful meeting (and aside, I seriously love maté). Chau!

*For those who are truly interested, here are the verses we used:
Luke 14:15-24 (Matthew 22:1-16), Luke 20:9-19 (Matthew 21:33-46), Matthew 25:31-46, Matthew 7:15-23, Hebrews 10:26-39, 1 Corinthians 3:10-16 (16-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment