Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

le Rebuke

You know you have a good mentor when she says exactly what you need to hear when you need to hear it. Andrea has been challenging me ever since we started meeting together earlier this year, and I almost always come out of the meetings ready to begin afresh the following week.

This week, I felt a subtle, yet necessary, rebuke. The challenge was to take another look at the culture and note what is different. At first, I was abashed at the thought that I have been neglecting something obvious. Then I realized the adjective was "another." Almost nine months into my stay here, ten months out of the country entirely, I needed to be reminded that I'm not in Uh-merica. Well.. haha. I am, just not in the northern half.

Thankfully, I had started the day reading through an online Bible study on the book of Mark. It makes a fairly thorough analysis of the disciples and their understanding of Jesus throughout the 16 chapters. As I wait for permission to include the questions the study includes directly, I will simply link you to the site.

The analysis concludes that the disciples, although with the Son of God during his entire three year ministry on this earth, still did some pretty stupid, not-thinking-things-through, sort of things. Like that Chris Rice song:
I can get so clumsy,
I can get so foolish,
I get so stupid
and then I feel so useless...

One of the final questions is asking us to label the disciples, and one can't help but circle the final option. They are human. Just like you and me.

The best part is knowing He still loves me. Has patience with me. Provides a mentor for me to nudge me in the right direction.

I went for a bike ride soon after and made a stop at Maria Elena's. All I wanted was a glass of water, but she was able to give me some delicious lunch and I listened to her friends debate about soccer. She also turned to me at one point to say, "I wasn't expecting you, but now that I think of it--it's as if God wanted you to be here. You're timing couldn't have been more perfect!"

How deliberate God can be, as Maria Elena then proceeded to share some prayer requests and other things to explain why.

He's amazing. Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment