Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Patience for Chechu ..and Ivan

I have brought to the reader's attention young Chechu on several occasions. He truly is one of the boys most cared for by the leaders of OM, as his struggle is external. We know that all of the boys at the institute have rough lives, but when you add the fact that his eyes do not function properly, it just seems so much the worse for him.

And so when JD left I had begun my prayers for Chechu specifically. We have never connected, as I seem to cling most with Nahuel, Rodrigo uno and on occasion Sergio. I prayed that God would help me know what to do and say around him, to encourage him better. I have already seen answered prayers in that these past couple weeks we have had some great laughs. Like the other day when we played Jenga in a group of four. I was nervous for him because he would have to risk toppling the wooden tower over on account of his impaired vision. On the contrary, he played quite well, and was able to last several rounds. When the time came in which all came tumbling down, I made sure to lovingly tease him, "Oh no Chechu! It's gonna fall.. it's gonna fall!" I chanted.

His guffaw seemed to come from Jolly old St. Nick himself.

Today however, we struggled. We played Uno in the institute this time, and ALL of the boys behaved very poorly. We said throughout our time there that they needed to stop the bad words, stop hitting each other, stop cheating...

Words will only be valued if their is truth behind them. Namely, that they would not receive their reward for the day.

And sure enough, when they all came filing up to us asking for the "premio" we had to explain to them, several times, they did not receive one today. "But what did we do?!" Oh, how our memories love to fade away so conveniently.

Chechu especially turned sour. He stole the Uno cards, while I tried to lovingly explain that I know he is better than that. Javi pursued him and had a long talk with him about the need to behave well in order to receive the award. I watched and prayed for patience. That Javi would be able to love well with firm words. Eventually, we got the cards back.

Then there's Ivan. He's new, and we think he has come directly from living off the streets. He says nothing of his family, and is always touching everything in sight: the water pouring from the sewer, the trash in the can in the plaza, etc. etc. It has been in these past couple of weeks that I find priority to wash my hands before leaving for the day.

He is also very affectionate. I am wary to return his desired affection, because I don't think he has a proper view of women. It is so hard to hold back a hug from him, but I honestly think it might be for his good. Of course, I will not neglect the typical Argentinian greeting. I just want to be careful.

Can you pray for these boys with me? There is much work to be done, and only can the Lord change their hearts! Thanks and chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment