Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Surreal

There are so many moments that feel surreal. I take a hard look, rub my eyes and make sure that I'm not dreaming.

I spent the night with Maria Elena after youth group. The OM house is currently full*, and since I had ridden my bike earlier to share merienda with Fany, I figured it would be easier to ride back in the morning.

One o'clock struck, and we both made way to the bed that takes up the whole room that normally ME and Carlos share. The boys and Carlos were in the adjoining room, which is next to the kitchen/dining room where one even as short as me can feel like a giant. The house is tiny.

We lay there, covered in about 5 layers of blankets as it is now winter and the house has no heating system. 'Still better than being claustrophobic at the other house,' I thought to myself. We talked about the day and things we notice about life. I couldn't believe how quickly time passed as we ended the night with prayer and I glanced at my watch: 2:16am.

I didn't exactly sleep, as the rooster began crowing a few hours later, and I was just lost in the moment. Riding back, too, felt more natural even though I've only had Rosita for a week now.

This evening, youth group had to meet outside due to the conference, so there were only the 6 of us playing soccer in the local plaza. It didn't seem like a story I would ever tell. "Remember when we played futbol with that ragged old ball, the Rodriguez sisters squealing about, a guy on a bicycle shouting 'Hermosas!' at us as he passed?"

Or the part where Caro's friend had come too, and we got to talk about what I'm doing here. She seems intrigued, and I do hope she comes again.

I rub my eyes and see that it's still real. Thank you Lord. Chau.

*OM is hosting a missionary course, and many folk from different parts of Argentina have come to take part. FULL house.

No comments:

Post a Comment