Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bs. As. tour guide. That's me!

Sol and I had all day Saturday after our work with the kiddies (more on that upcoming) to visit the capital of her country, Buenos Aires. I've now been here thrice, which is amazing in itself, but something I most enjoyed on this trip was being the foreign tour guide.

I thought of it as if Sol were to show off Washington, D.C. to me, except for having a Pink House,
..we have a white one. Never had crossed my mind before. I asked her how she felt about seeing the capital of Argentina, but she just kind of shrugged. She wasn't outwardly enthusiastic, but we had much to talk about afterward, and said she loved seeing all the sights.

We started in Puerto Madero where to spice things up for me, we entered the frigate known as Presidente Sarmiento. For the equivalent of 50 cents, you can see the ins and outs of this world-traveling ship. Then came the tour of the political house we've seen many a time by now (though I still lack a night shot, which is quite cool). I was surprised here in that they've opened up more rooms to the public--so.. more new stuff for me. Woohoo! And then of course.. the obelisk. hehe.
Obviously.
We hit up everything I knew, minus La Boca and Recoleta. We tried to take a tour of the famous Teatro Colon, which would have been a first for me, but it closed fifteen minutes before we showed up. There were the typical demonstrators in the streets, the typical street vendors (from which this time they enticed us both to buy hats:
Mine is this dark green with hints of black, hers is a lighter green. The flower, that you can't see that well in mine, is gray for hers. Any way, 25 pesos seemed worth it when you get to watch the woman selling them work on the next one in front of you.), and the typical McDonald's on every corner. Wait..

We ended in San Telmo, where I found a few more odds and ends for the family and supporters. Found a really cool postcard this time too, which helps one grasp truly how large this city is. I have so much more to see, but I will just have to try to hit up new hot spots next time. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment