Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Chatty Cathies

Can you pluralize Cathy? I suppose I just did.

Friday night, I invited a couple gals over for a sleepover. I made a few prior inquiries to see if this was something girls typically have and I got an overwhelming similar response: nope. The few that do have sleepovers for one call them pijama parties (not a misspelling), and for two don't actually wear the full pajama sets that a lot of us are used to. They just wear regular sleep clothes like a tee and sweatpants or shorts.

So after a Skype date with Sara, I finished up some homemade sugar cookies and prepared the rest of the junk food (have I ever mentioned the "cheetos" they have here? So different!), and then put all of the mattresses from the house in the meeting room. Mariela, Sol, Mili and Flor all came and we had quite a night.

The first lull of silence came after dinner, so I told them we could play some cards or start watching a movie if they preferred. Then, out of nowhere, we just began talking. About all sorts of things--family, school, surprisingly NOT boys, and cultural differences. Everyone had a turn to share what was going on with them, and it was so cool. I was thanking God for how great it was to get to know one another better! Sure, it's easy for girls to talk, and yet, this felt different.

Today, I was invited to Mili's house by her mom. She knew I am alone for the week, so she offered to spend a few hours sharing maté and getting better acquainted. I think I'm sensing what the Latin openness is all about, as I learned all about her marriage, her family and kids. We talked about our relationship with God and the many things He is teaching us.

I came home to spend another hour with Fany as we talked about her new job for the Evil Empire. No, I didn't call it that to her face.

And to be honest, it's not as though I do a LOT of talking. My speed of Spanish is still lagging, and that's okay, because I can hear and understand quickly enough. It made me think of my preconceptions upon coming here. I was excited to get to listen more because I couldn't say as much. It still stands, even if sometimes I wish I had more to say. Bueno, I can at least say the most important thing:

I love you, Lionel... jeje

Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment