Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Día del Niño

Never had I been acquainted with this celebration, but believe you me, día del niño is not something to be messed with. For the Argentines, "Kid's day" if you will, is like a second Christmas. But that of course depends on whether you picture the North American style Christmas or the south of the border one.

If you'll remember, the AR Christmas is full of fireworks and family get-togethers where maybe a couple of gifts are exchanged (not to mention that it's during the summer). I do not think I have to describe the US style.

All that to say, DDN is a US-style Christmas for kids. Every church, and because this year is election year, every candidate, makes sure to throw elaborate parties for the kids of every neighborhood. Prizes like bikes are given away; everyone gets a nice bag of candy and toys; kids have the opportunity to ask for whatever they want, and... they'll most likely get it.

The church, therefore, made a point to celebrate for our kiddos too. Namely, those from Escuelita. Everyone got involved: making bags, filling bags, making cake and juice to give out, preparing games. 'Twas a three week affair of preparation unlike I had ever encountered since I've been here!

I was involved in the obra, or the evangelistic skit we did at the end of our two hours together. It was pretty neat, as it involved Eva dressed up as an artist, Ezequiel and Andrea dressed as little kids, and me, your go-to clown. (It feels like I've been that a lot, lately.)
I finally understood why we had half of the things that we do in storage (you may remember Operation Lumber Room)--it's all for this one day! Sort of like our boxes in our attics and basements filled with Christmas lights and decor.

The more profunda (deep) part of this story is something that was shared by our pastor on Sunday. As DDN also invaded the pulpit, we focused on the verse about bringing the children to Jesus, because the kingdom of God belongs to people like these. He related that the children were the outcasts of the time, which of course, reinforces that age-old paradigm that we outcasts are accepted by God through Christ.

I think what it also got me thinking about is how kids aren't exactly the outcast these days. Many are, sure--those forced to be sex slaves, or child soldiers--but I feel like in general, kids are highly praised. They are no longer an economic benefit (helping you run the family business or field, for example), they're more likely to be shown off and spoiled.

I told someone the other day how excited I am for one thing in particular if and when I have kids: the opportunity to read to them. As I begin afresh the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I prepare the voices that I have for Sid and Aunt Polly and naturally, that rascal Tom.

So.. all this.. why? Why so many gifts? So much anticipation to having kids? And what does that mean about where we find value (as parents)? I don't have answers, only new feelings. We celebrated with the boys at the institute and I was able to give them some of the presents sent from my Aunt Melonia, and the glow in the dark bracelets from my mom. The smiles are priceless; how much they won't thank you, but they are sweeter to you when they give their salutations is overwhelming.

I made a point this time to tell them I love them. I don't come here from week to week because I have to, I do it because I want to, I tell them. Many ignore me. Others will continue to take advantage of my love in various ways. It actually reminds me of the parable of the Prodigal Son, not long ago mentioned here. These kids seem to be like the son who runs away, but perhaps they are more like the one who stayed. They don't realize what they have. I didn't realize how much I had at the time either (when I think back at how amazing my parents have always been).

So I guess the moral of the story is I took the time to think on DDN and concluded that I have the Father with me at all times. That is enough. Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment