Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Firsts, and in English!

Cordoba Immersions is a group based in the city that helps one with the language barrier. They meet with the people that want to learn English in various mediums--in the office, in classes, through private tutors, and the part where I come in: three- to four-day trips to the Sierras!

Luciano and Facundo: my best jugglers. They even learned
how to do so side-by-side, a recent favorite.
It was a little unorganized, but when you have excited students, it's not that hard to keep them entertained. Well, that, and the fact that we used the circus theme throughout, they were always kept on their toes.

So I had my first real time in Mina Clavero. My first opportunity to teach kiddos how to juggle. My first chance to make crazy circus food like snow cones and caramel apples from scratch. My first time to paint mime faces. My first time to be in charge of my very own group (or troupe, as they called them) by myself.

Crazy Circus Troupe
They were pretty great, I might add. In fact, as I discussed with Andrea this morning, I was very impressed with how well they behaved. I'm so used to kids who can not keep attention, or are difficult to please. With this group, when we needed an hour to kill, I took them outside (in the cold!) and we played with an imaginary ball for half an hour!

This is the part where you say, "Mira vos!"

I had some very sweet kids. Bueno, as already pictured above, my jugglers. But also in my group on the bottom right is Delfina--always willing to help and lead our rag-tag team. Then there was Gonzalo, who was very insistent that I sit with him during meals. He even learned the English idiom, "to save a seat." Only because he successfully executed this phrase did I sit with him more than once, as our goal was to spend time with all of the students, so they might "mejorar" their English.

Example of one of my "masterpieces." ha. 
I was also assigned to waking everybody up on the first day. I took advantage of this with some very annoying noise-makers and a colorful costume. Some of the kids noted that they're best memory of the trip was when I stormed in saying "WAKE UP! IT'S TIME TO GO TO THE CIRCUS!" muah ha ha.

The three-day trip ended with each troupe performing what they learned. Again, impressed with how quickly they could grasp the expressions of a mime, or the subtle humor of clowns, and the various acrobatic tricks.

Any way, I have finally updated this thing. Feels like it's been weeks, although there has been much to say. Less time, or more time spent away from the computer with people? Like this "re-lleno" weekend spent at yet another birthday party, or playing cards with Romina and her family, or dia del nino (more on that for sure), or visiting with the Quinteros... ay carumba.

Chau for now, and have a blessed evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment