Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Latest cultural distinctions

..what we learn in school. I discussed with some of the youth the different sports focuses we had. Namely, football, baseball, basketball and volleyball. There was track, and even swimming for some, but mainly the four that students got most involved in. Here, girls especially, are held from sports knowledge. Maybe they'll play soccer. Maybe. Only two sports are taught for the most part; volleyball and handball.

..superstitions. We find Friday the 13th to be an unlucky day. Here it's Tuesday. They joked that the unlucky-ness hits them first. I laughed more at the fact that even the infamous Jason movie is changed in the translation.
for some reason, just not that scary...
Then there's the fact that cats don't have nine lives. They only have seven. I feel like there's a really good joke in there somewhere, but I don't want to try too hard to get it. I'll just play the inside joke card and say that I hope my "earthy" father gets it. hehe.

And finally, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but something I mentioned to my mentor once when she asked about why my parents didn't have more kids. I don't know the full answer, but I know that by one point, my dad got "fixed." Yes, slightly awkward to talk about, but also funny. Even funnier to learn that the verb here is not to be fixed, or arreglar, but to fail, or fallar. Quite the difference. Think of the mindset then, behind this! It's obviously a social status to have a certain amount of kids here rather than in the EEUU.

Any way, that should cover it for now! Time for church, asi q, chau!!

No comments:

Post a Comment