Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Let me count the ways

This morning, I don't know why, but on my way home from the gym I began to sing to myself:

"Count your blessings,
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings,
See what God has done.
Count your many blessings.
Name them one by one........

Count your many blessings see what God has done!!!!"

Though, perhaps I should also tell you that anytime I sing this song, I always add a sweet beat boxing mix, as well as a few scratches of the old turntable to spice things up. Hmm.. I'm sensing that you lack a demonstration. Let me just tell you it's sweet.

The point is, I am blessed.

Then, we went to the boys institute and it really sank in.

First there was Sergio who acted tough, but then made not one but TWO of the little piggy (chanchito) bank craft that I brought (by the way, thanks Martha Stewart). There was Chechu who made fun of the craft, but made it all the same. Then Rodrigo, who instead of making a piggy, made a "Javi 2" which made us all laugh.

But there was another side to it. The part where travieso Ivan came and didn't want any part of any of it. He came to me, knowing that I always bring the snack to share with one question. "Can I have one?"

Now, I have struggled with him in particular as of late. He doesn't treat anyone well. Always hitting, always saying mean things. So more than once, I have withheld the snack from him. We treat the snack, after all, as a prize. Therefore, I responded with, "Why?"

He looked at me with some sad eyes and gave me a hug. I smiled back and said, "Ivan, I really like hugs. Of course you can have a snack!"

He had taken it and immediately left. While we continued to make the craft with the rest of the boys, we heard major screaming inside. It was Ivan, who was refusing to take a bath. He sounded like it was the end of the world. It took a lot from all of us to remain in our seats, knowing that everything was really okay.

On the way home, we talked about each of the boys. How little we know of their pasts. How much of their future is not in our hands (and even if it was??). How Rodrigo's older brother has been sent to another boys' home outside of the city, too far to visit. The worsening of Chechu's sight. The fact that the boys don't even have a soccer ball any more.

I praise God for a good day in ministry that could only be brought on by His mercy with our many weaknesses. I also am very grateful for how easy I've had it in this life thus far. He truly has been too kind. Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment