Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Variety

Change can happen fast. Within a day, I have already switched rooms and have made a new nook for me to inhabit for the coming year and pico (new vocabulary!). And speaking of new vocabulary, I used the subjunctive mood correctly today. Big steps!

Then there's the new routine of going to the gym thrice a week in the early morning. I'm so sore today that I am reminded of some painful softball punishments suffered in high school. If Shannon were to read this, perhaps she would remember how we couldn't go up and down the stairs to pre-cal that one time.

As for what's going on in ministry life, we have visited with the boys and teenage mothers over the past couple weeks. A new missionary couple is visiting with us, conveniently both named Chris (bueno, the wife is named Krysta, or at least I think that's how you spell it). They are great, and are interested in helping with el Refugio. I enjoy combining forces with other workers to serve these kids. It's good for the kids to have a couple fresh faces as well. In general, the relationships with the young'ns continues strong.

Anything is possible with a few random scraps of fabric
and yarn
Oh, I did have an interesting moment with a kid in el Refugio on Monday. I assist Maria Sol each Monday afternoon with the handcrafts, though I must say that I kind of like doing the handcrafts a little too much, as you can see my pirate puppet to the left.

Carlos is a rough one. That is, he plays rough, although I think he has a good heart. He hit one of the kids while we were waiting to enter the building, and so I told him and motioned to the rest that we don't hit. If he hits someone again, he will have to leave and wait until next week's craft. He seemed to understand.

About ten minutes later, he hit one of the others.. I first gave him the stare down. Sort of as a way to let it settle in his mind that what was coming, indeed, was coming. Carlos seemed abashed. I firmly told him that he had to leave and he went into the natural, I'm-so-sorry-I-won't-do-it-again mode, but I led him out the door. "You are welcome next week, but for now you must go."

Shock. Utter shock in the room. Inwardly, I wonder if these kids have people to show them any form of discipline.

He proceeded to wait outside for several minutes, watching us from one of the windows. One of his good friends, Gaston, came inside to join us. He was confused at what was occurring and so he asked if Carlos was allowed in. I looked at Carlos and asked if he was going to hit anyone again. He shook his head in the negative.

Then, to re-establish for everyone, "We have decided that this place is not one in which we hit each other, right?" All nodded. "Welcome back, Carlos."

And there wasn't another fighting problem. In fact, everyone was much better with sharing in general. Carlos seemed to forget the whole thing by the end of our time. Though, I'm not that great with kids, so I could be completely wrong. But I pray for the best. He's been on my heart a lot recently, so maybe I'm also hyperaware, you know? Any way, if you could be praying for Carlito, that would help a lot!

Welp, time to stretch (ouch) before calling it an early night. Twas a long day and I sorta hope to read s'more of Sherlock Holmes. Thanks for reading and chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment