Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

How to get rid of creepy dudes 101

So there I am, minding my own business. I just got done hanging out with Noemi and was ready to hang out with Flor in San Martin square. Every first two weeks of September there's a giant book fair, and I had high hopes of finding some English books to keep me company. I have some still from what we've found in the back, but they are dwindling.

Any way, so I'm waiting. Sketch man approaches, 3 o'clock. I take note of him, just so he knows that I know he's there. Ultimately, I turn away--cold shoulder folks. Very clear.

He asks me for a light. Nope. No can do, not my thing. He walks off for a bit.

Comes back in ten minutes asking me if I'm waiting for someone. "Yes."

"Boyfriend."

"No."

"And if she doesn't come?"

"She's always late. She'll come." (Come on...!!!)

I give terse answers to everything.

"So what do you do?"

I cave. I give him a little bit longer answers, praying that God is protecting me, and relying on the fact that I'm in a public place in the middle of the day. I respond by asking about him. "What do you do?"

"I'm an employer of the government."

Great, even more reason to not put my trust in him.

"Is your friend coming?" he asks one more time.

"Yes."

"'Cause if she doesn't, I gladly invite you to my place if you're hungry."

HA!

Thankfully, he changes the subject and asks why I'm here if I'm not a student and I don't have a job. I resort to telling him about how I volunteer. I serve the community by visiting children's homes and helping out in the neighborhood with whatever is needed.

"Yes, but why?"

Here it goes. "Look," I say. "Jesus died on the cross for my sins. I figure, if he could do that much for me, I can live for him anywhere. I can serve wherever, whoever, and even when it's hard because I'm so far from family, I just remember what Jesus did for me. For all of us."

Phone rings. He answers and says something about the person with whom he is talking, "Oh you're in the plaza? I'll come find you." Looks at me and mouths a "Nos vemos," although I seriously doubt that.

Chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment