Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Hear no evil, see no evil

Javi preached yesterday evening about the things we see and hear--how we ought to be cognizant of that which enters our brain and more careful of what we allow in. Unfortunately, my rebellious self only wanted to listen to "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5 and get my dance on. But it lead to another revelation: an observation of the teenagers from these past two weeks in Mina Clavero.

We had a dance party one night for the first group from Neuquin. It was limited to only 6 songs, and everyone (per usual) was surprised by my grand affinity for dance. Good story, I know. What I'm wanting to say is the teens who stayed to dance were "sin verguenza" as is said. Sarah had to literally get in the middle of a boy and girl making out. I had caught the guy make his way toward girl, and was in such shock of this 16 year old making such a beeline. I was pointing, mouth wide, but frozen; letting Sarah do the dirty work.

I had a conversation with Marisol before this second wave of camps. We were talking about the disco traps, and how bored teenagers pre-game and go dancing all night long. Not that it's such a cultural shock, as such action is pretty universal. But I had never really thought about it much before. Bored students equals the likelihood to explore some pretty life-threatening things. Yes, it's as simple as that.

The thief comes to kill, steal and destroy and it can start with one poisoned drink. I say that with a story in mind, as well as the countless pregnant teenagers I've seen since being here as evidence.

Needless to say, I was a little thankful we didn't have a dance party with the second group which already included three pretty touchy-feely couples (definitely a cultural distinction this PDA thing).

As for what we see, I've been thinking about the boys' institute. Several times we've hung out in the back room of the facility which has a few old computers on which the boys play basic computer games.

The desktop of the best working computer includes several pictures of a half naked woman. Betania, the brave one, asked why that was their background, and they shrugged, though looked at each other in such a way that suggested they knew why it was up. Through various other forms of question and encouragement, they finally changed it.

The list goes on (as always), but now it's time to run a few more errands for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment