Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The bicycle accident

I was ahead of the pack (Javi, Adam and myself), and foresaw an obstacle ahead of us--a large truck blocking both sides of the road. So I entered sidewalk territory until the truck was a good distance behind me, and then re-entered the street.

"Whoa!" They shouted behind me. Apparently I cut Javi off and we were inches from collision.

"That's okay," I chuckled. "You would have been at fault because you're riding the bike behind me."

"But I would've won because you're a woman," Javi retorted, jokingly. And we all laughed. Welcome to machismo, no?

"Fine, you're not getting the prize for the day," I smiled back. After all, the daily prize of alfajores that we give to the boys was in my backpack this time.

We all had a good laugh. And then...

Maybe five minutes later, Javi had pulled ahead, and there was a dog crossing the street. Javi was inches from crashing and killing the dog! It shrieked and appeared to have lost a piece of its tail.

"Ahh, now I have evidence to support my side," I told him. "Who will they believe? The upstanding citizen with no record of bicycle accidents, or the one that almost killed an innocent dog after almost running into a woman?"

On our way home that day, Javi, again in the lead, had looked back to check where we were. It was after one of the more dangerous turns, so sometimes we can lose each other. All I remember was seeing him swerve uncontrollably and go into the sidewalk as another car passed close by.

"What? And now you're drunk?!" I shouted.

All in a day's work. I suppose then the title should have been "The bicycle accident that didn't actually happen," but I thought I'd throw my readers for a loop. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment