Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

El tema es..

Whenever I hear this phrase, I know an excuse is coming. In a way, it reminds me of the need for creativity. As a speech I listened to this week reminds me, let's stop thinking linearly, and let's start seeing that there are multiple ways to achieve a successful result. Let's remember that a successful result may not look the same for one person as it does for another.

And this makes me think about God. When we have faith in his provision, in his goodness, we have to remember that we don't always have the same definition of "good" as God. We often think "good" is if he gives us what we want, when and how we want it.

Today at the girls' institute, we made trenzas. They are a fashionable hair accessory that you can make similar to the bracelets we are already making together. Instead of hanging them on your wrist, they hang from your hair. It was something Ale had suggested we do a couple weeks ago, and we were finally able to make it happen today.

In the middle of this time together (after I had spent part of it working with Gladys in the kitchen--that was quite fun), Giselle tells us her son, Martin has some sort of infection on his skin.

"I've already been to two doctors," she tells us. "Both of them couldn't do anything for me."

They had recommended a dermatologist, but couldn't give Martin a cream or anything to help stop the infection from growing.

I explained what I could do, which was first pray, but then also see if our team doctor, Andrea could do something about it. "I know you've already seen two doctors, but who knows?"

El tema es...
The thing is...

She can't go to the hospital by herself.
She is waiting for her "husband" to come to take her.
We aren't allowed to go, nor do we have a way to take her (the team car is being used).
She doesn't want to wait until tomorrow for Andrea to come, because she knows the rash is getting worse. At the same time, she doesn't believe that her husband will be coming.

All of this, I think I understand. And I'm sure, I would be in more of a panic in her situation; if it was my kid.

We gathered around in the kitchen to pray for her. It was a beautiful moment to see Gladys and Maria Elena (another of the women) join us. We prayed for Martin's health, for trust that God hears us, and for wisdom in what we should do.

We left, and all I could see was doubt in Giselle's eyes. Doubt and hopelessness. I want her to witness a miracle, and for Martin to be cured. But I don't know if that's God's will, because I don't know if that's what Giselle needs in order to put her faith in God. On the walk back, I prayed for God's will and that it would lead her to him. Would you pray with me?

Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment