Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Time

Marta has been given hours to live.

I must say I don't even know where to start praying. I had a feeling a week or two ago that I should start petitioning for recovery. And yet, to see her pain this past Monday, I also don't want her to suffer.

Then there are a flood of events that seem to be converging at the same time. I just don't have enough time to do everything, to please everybody.. I didn't go to youth group again tonight so that I could finish the lesson for Escuelita in the morning, and make drastic changes to the Cordoba Immersions schedule (that begins on Tuesday!).

Nevertheless, we always make time for the things we love. Cough cough.. BATMAN.. cough.. the saxophone.. etc. etc.

In other news, I have been reading, and lack but one chapter to finish, Scripture and the Authority of God by N.T. Wright. It is a challenging read, but has brought me to an interesting new consideration about God's rest.

"[John] Walton insists that in the ancient world anyone reading about something being built by a god in six days or stages would know that it was basically a temple, a dwelling for the god himself or herself. And what the god would do after the six days of construction was not simply to stop working and have some time off. The god would enter the newly constructed house and 'rest' there--in the sense of 'taking his ease,' taking up residence and being at peace in his new home. This gives quite a new perspective on the Genesis sabbath institution. If Walton is right, it has to do with the creator's enjoyment of his world, his celebration of heaven and earth as a dwelling for himself."*

Which means Jesus entered the world to dwell or "take his ease" just like the LORD God had done in Genesis. Jesus became the new Sabbath in whom we find rest. We look at time differently. We look at space differently too. Taking the temple concept and what we read about our bodies being the temple, we realize that God is now dwelling inside of us.

I can't seem to write this eloquently, but I want to mention that I have this gut feeling that it was God's plan all along. His timing is perfect. Do we trust him?

Chau.

*p. 148

No comments:

Post a Comment