Volunteering and traveling in Argentina to proclaim God's great love, and hopefully not getting sick along the way.

Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

"You make things lighter"

Sole is one of the workers in the institute. She greeted us with a smile, and introduced us to her friend. Before I get to into this, let me bring you up to speed. Not only are we selling bracelets, Ale is selling figurines of porcelana fría:

..and now we are selling what we cook each Friday. It began with pastelitos (which the girls then sold again, when I wasn't there, having used the money they earned to buy the ingredients), then pasta frola, and yesterday--empanadas arabes.

Cooking and selling has been my plan the whole time, but the girls usually just eat what we make. So I made the most of it by enjoying the various conversations we've been able to have in the kitchen, or serving mate while we wait for the food to cook. It's always been a blessing. 

The girls themselves finally "came up" with the idea to sell. And of course, I used Amanda Kingry's famous phrase, "we can make that happen."

Yesterday was most intriguing in that this time, the girls called ahead of time with their plan of action. I bought the ingredients, and Ale even came over earlier in the morning to pick them up, so they could get started before I got there.

When I arrived, we just had to stuff the discs (made from scratch!) and cook. Oh, and did I mention that they had already talked to buyers, so all that was left to sell on our own was one dozen (out of 6). Impressive.

In all of this, I am most encouraged that I don't have to do too much other than show up. We laugh and talk and play together (the last one mainly is applicable to the children obviously), and every now and then, we get a deeper conversation. Yesterday, I also realized how much the girls will make fun of each other, so I am currently praying for a way to encourage positive words.

Aside: Gladys is funny when it comes to positive words. Every time she says "Please," she looks at me to say, "Teacher, you taught me how important to say please for things." Chuckle.

And so here we are, greeted by the smile of Sole and her friend. Sole had helped with the making of the empanadas before I got there--very grateful to her for that as well as many other things! She turns to her friend, "We love it when Sharayah comes to visit." Then she looks at me, "You make things lighter around here."

I was abashed. "Well, I'm not so sure about that," I say. "But it is a blessing to come and be with you guys!"

What a concept though. Obviously, this is a colloquialism, because I have never heard a person from the States give that sort of compliment. I suppose it has to do with the weight of the world, and when someone comes and you forget your troubles, you certainly feel a bit lighter. Kind of beautiful the image, no?

So I am thinking that this is the person I will strive to continue to be. Although we live in a world of pain and suffering, much more than we can ever bear, let us carry each others' burdens, and make things lighter for one another. Sounds biblical to me! :)

love and chau.

No comments:

Post a Comment